Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Stubborn Itchyface

It was in the early 2000’s that I was initiated to the world of allergies. I swear the Makati smog did me no good. Throw in my penchant for fast-food being the undomesticated human that I was. And yeah, don’t forget the processed food and de lata junk whenever I and my housemates did find the time to cook. Such is the dilemma of one who has lived more than half of her life away from the nurturing cocoon of a home with Mom and Dad. My eating habit is weird enough for my parents. No timetables - will eat anything, anytime except veggies. My Mom looked aghast when I told her I lived with noodles in college partially because unlike other teens, I find it hard to ask for extra money or call home to talk about the weather. She has to practically hold herself in sending next month’s allowance to force me to give her a ring and update her.

Back to the allergies…and so one fine day I just woke up with horrible itchy rashes. I went on to see a dermatologist who couldn’t tell me what it was but sternly warned me to avoid eggs, chicken and fish. It was gone in a week’s time but from then on I’d periodically get rashes. A week on chicken and egg diet would make me itch like hell. Sometimes I push my luck and feast on eggs or follow my friend’s tactic. Gulp down Celestamine before eating the no-no stuff. My dermatologist takes pleasure in saying “beh, buti nga sa ‘yo” and telling me I’m stubborn. She’s begging me to take a skin test but being the coward that I am, I declined steadfastly. Now my allergies have reached another level. A change in the weather or water salinity warrants a trip to the clinic. And just last week I stubbornly dined in Chicken Adobo, Chicken Tinola, Chicken Afritada, Chicken Wings, Chicken Barbecue and Fried Chicken. My face is itching like crazy and dotted with rashes much akin to prickly heat rash. Serves me right I know. And for three days starting from tomorrow I have to suffer once more with my face peeling as if I have treated my skin with Extraderm. No sweat, I still love Chicken..hehe..and I’m keeping my meds accessible.

No comments: