Sunday, March 30, 2008

Saying No To Plastic: Reusable Shopping Bags at Bahrain Supermarkets

I am thrilled and happy that the Public Commission for the Protection of Marine Resources, Environment & Wildlife of the Kingdom of Bahrain has undertaken a project of reducing use of plastics in the kingdom. The program will be launched on July 1st but the commission along with its partner supermarkets have already started its first phase of the program. Jute bags are available now in lieu of plastics bags that are non-biodegradable and harmful to our environment. Jawad Supermarkets gives it for free while Geant Hypermarket charges BD 0.500 and BD 0.800 for it’s small and big bags which are reusable. By the 1st of July, both companies will charge a small fee on plastic bags all which will be given to the Public Commission to be donated to charity.

I have started using the jute bags and they are adorable. I feel strangely proud bringing my jute shopping bag with me as I walk through the hypermarket entrance. It’s practically easy to pack groceries with more space and being and more durable. What more, it is easy to lug around instead of those small plastic bags. Just sling them over your shoulder if you really don’t have enough loads that require use of the trolleys.

Hubby has complained that now we can’t use those bags as trash bags anymore. Yes we do our part of recycling the plastics but it isn’t enough. I patiently told him that the earth is there giving us what we she can offer. Yet, think of it, what about our children’s children? Will she have enough to give the same? I already talked my friends and everyone I know to make use of the bags and contribute to the effort of saving our planet. If you are in Bahrain, please grab one when you do your groceries!

Geant Ad

No comments: