Monday, March 17, 2008

New Bahrain Banknotes Out Today

I am hoping I can lay my hands today on the new Bahraini Dinar banknotes now in circulation. Apparently, the change of the notes is imposed because the old notes carry the name of the now defunct Bahrain Monetary Agency (BMA). The new notes now are under the Central Bank of Bahrain (CBB) which superceded BMA.

What do I get with these new notes? For one, I will have crisp bills! Hahaha! I’ll have to change my wallet as well! Bigger notes this time..hmmm..shopping opportunity! I can also grope the right denomination should I be in the most unfortunate scenario of having to pay someone in the dark. The new notes are accommodates the visually-impaired. At the top right, they have incorporated a series of short, raised lines to identify each note. A line for the half dinar; two lines for BD1; 3 lines for BD5; 4lines for BD10; and 5 lines for BD20. (Dang! Would anyone come up with glow-in-the-dark notes please???)

I browse through CBB’s website for a walk through of the new currencies. They have a wonderful interactive show that allowed me to look at the notes up close. Some of the changes I took more notice of:

BD10. The back side features the Shaikh Isa Bin Salaman Al Khalifa Causeway. The same bridge I cruise on from Muharraq to Manama everyday.

The new BD5 has the Riffa Fort and the Shaik Isa House in Muharraq whereas the old one features the airport…

The 1BD has the Pearl Monument, the same monument I have been trying for months to take a clear picture of in a moving vehicle =)

The ½ dinar features the F1 racing track, the same track I have never been into. Shame on me!

Main Article from CBB




No comments: