Sunday, March 30, 2008

Banned Shrimps and Preggy Safis

Just over two weeks ago, Bahrain announced a halt of harvesting, selling and buying shrimps. I thought it is a little puzzling since I had the notion that shrimps thrive and are available all season. Hubby’s cousin explained that at this time of the year, there are only mainly baby shrimps available. I’m glad to know at least Bahrain is interested in safekeeping its resources. Shrimps do bred easily to cater to human consumption but there are several reports claiming overharvesting of shrimps all over the world. So I do my part, leave a rest to buttered shrimps and sinigang na hipon.

Since I gave up temporarily on shrimps I decided to feast on Safi. This is a local fish that Bahrainis are fond of. My in-laws just love fried Safi coated in Arabic Masala coupled with a tomato soup appetizer and fragrant spiced rice. For me, I like them simply seasoned with salt, fried a bit crunchy and dipped into soy sauce with lemon. (wishing for a lemonsito though!) On the way home I stopped by a road peddler and saw the freshest Safi I have ever seen in Bahrain. Glossy, clear eyes, red gills and fat. Priced at a higher BD2 per kilo (approx. Php230) I took over a kilo instead of my normal half kilo simply because they were really fresh to my eyes. When I reached home I cleaned them one by one (fish cleaning is a trick I learned in college with roommates equally undomesticated as I was. I was the bravest then J ). Imagine my surprise and delight, all of them had eggs! All seven of them! Heavily pregnant! I don’t like caviar but I do like plain fish eggs. My mouth literally watered at the thought of those fish in my plate. One of my friends had Safi as well and she said she’s not sure but they could actually be banned that’s why they were priced higher than normal. Eventually my guilt got into me. If we pick up all the pregnant Safi in Bahrain, what’s the future of our safi-filled plates? Hah, keep in mind BG, don’t advocate peddlers selling preggy Safis.

----

Right after writing this thought I did some minor research and I think that I don't have much to be alarmed with. The GCC in general have invested a harmonized shrimp ban to give time for shrimps to multiply and Bahrain's Public Commission for the Protection of Marine Resources, Environment & Wildlife has invested in breeding Safi to replenish natural fish stock in the kingdom and for exporting purposes

Safi on my plate:


External Link

Live Safi

Picture courtesy of Budak

Safi farming/breeding project in Bahrain

Shrimp Ban across GCC

No comments: