Thursday, January 3, 2008

Getting Married in Dubai Courts (Part II)

In the Dubai Courts, Sharia Section Court, the following documents are required:

  1. Original Passport + Passport copies of bride, groom and the bride’s father
  2. Original Passport + Passport copies of Two (2) witnesses
  3. Health Certificate from accredited hospital
  4. In case the father of the bride will not attend the wedding, a representative has to be there. For this, a letter of consent for marriage from the bride’s father is additionally required.
  5. If the bride is Muslim and her father is not, a No Objection of Marriage Certificate from the Philippine Embassy/Consulate is required.

The very first thing I did was to secure my father’s consent (form here). Our Emirati friend trooped over to the Shariah section to procure a format of the consent. After filling up all the details (In Arabic) I emailed the same form to my Dad. Of course he refused to sign since he didn’t understand a single thing. I explained that it is nothing great, just a note stating that he has no objection of me getting married to my hubby and that my cousin will act as my guardian in his behalf. It would have been required to submit the same papers with English translation to the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) – Manila for Red Ribbon (attestation). Only then would the UAE Embassy stamp its seal for the final attestation (for PHP1700). However the UAE Ambassador is a very kind man and we asked for assistance from a mentor who knew him well. (READ: ALERT!!!! RED TAPE!!!!) The UAE Ambassador patiently asked my Dad if he knew what the document says and only smiled in amusement when my Dad didn’t recognize my cousin’s name – to which I got a tongue lashing from Mom who was embarrassed. Damn us Filipinos for having a pet name/nick name that is so detached from our baptismal names J

Once I got hold of the attested documents, I had once again sent it for attestation from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (UAE) (for AED150), and finally for attestation at the Philippine Embassy. They refused to attest since my document does not have a Red Ribbon. After a few minutes of verbal battle, the clerk finally agreed to have it “Noted & Seen” by the Embassy (for AED 100 and next day pick up).

We learned of the Health Certificate a little late, only we I prodded and nagged my fiancé to visit the courts to make sure that our documents are all okay. We were instructed to go to a government hospital and ask for medical exams specifically for marriage. Most hospitals follow a 3-day urgent / 5-day normal processing. We went to the --- Hospital in Deira which promised us a next day result at AED250 for both of us. The hospital was bare and opened at 4 in the afternoon. We spent the free time we had by having lunch – mehndi special in a small cafeteria beside a Lebanese shisha shop. By the time we went back to the hospital there is already a small queue. We patiently waited in line, received greetings of mabruk from the doctors and wrapped up our blood test and chest x-ray in no more than 20 minutes. Since all is written in Arabic I have no idea exactly what blood tests they took. What matters was that stamp in red ink “FIT”. I presume those were tests to ensure we don’t have HIV and we do not carry genes of Sickle-Cell Anemia – a hereditary disorder common in the Gulf.

After having all documents and our witnesses ready we went to the Courts where we were “entertained” by a court clerk who was so determined in making our lives a living hell. He didn’t bother masking his disdain to my hubby because he belongs to a different Islamic sect. Our Emirati friend who was a champion of verbal battles, threats and menacing looks and who is in the same sect as the clerk demanded to show my father’s authorization letter to the Sheik to determine whether it is enough or not. After losing the campaign he grudgingly asked us to pay AED100 for the document. I gritted my teeth when I realized that the verbal sparring took more time than the actual “wedding ceremony”

We waited for half an hour for the Judge to finish his marriages and sign our original certificates and promptly left for Bahrain after a day. That was a mistake. In order for the document to be valid in our home countries, we had to attest the document at the Ministry of Justice and once again at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Being out of UAE, I spent a fortune bribing my friend to finish the attestations so we can register accordingly in Bahrain.

All said and done, my say is that getting married is a very costly affair. =)

Photos: Father's consent form, the form attested.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!Tell me about it...Dubai sure does make it hard for people to get married!! At this moment, you cannot even get the medical tests done at hospitals---they send you to a clinic that is impossible to find!I wish it was easier, I am about to give up!! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Dear, which hospital did u visit for the medical? Please reply ASAP

imanbelievable said...

Salaams, Maldita!
I'm about to get married too and was researching when i saw your blog. Great work,mashallah. Me, I converted to Islam almost five years ago(voluntary) and it's only very recently that I met my husband-to-be inshallah. We really want to do it the right way so we'd like to marry soon but OMG, they DID give you a hard time, eh?

Wish me luck, my fiance would like to get married in one week!!! Haha! It already breaks his heart to know that we need to wait for a month and I don't know how to tell him that we'd have to wait longer.

Anyways, great writing and hope your efforts to be married has been every bit worth it.
:-D

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your blog I am also Filipina and processing my papers right now.. Its been a month now and ive had to send back and forth to Philippines all my docs for crap stamps! the last one i had struggle was from foreign affairs that they have asked for UAE embassy stamp in Philippines so ive had to send it back again by DHL.
I wana ask you more details about the process coz in a week "Inshallah" we can get married. i took alot of days off but still we didnt manage to finish everything. Ive had translated my papers to arabic and Ive had to bring it first to Justice for stamp before we can get married. Unfortunately i spend all my time to the legal translator and when we finished the Justice office was already close as they finish at 1pm. Please send me email at laling0625@hotmail.com
Thanks!

Unknown said...

Salam,
im trying to access your father's consent form but im not able to, is it possible if you can pls email me at billiebie@gmail.com for the format?

and do u have any idea how to get the No Objection of Marriage Certificate from the Philippine Embassy/Consulate? thanks!

Maldita said...

I know I have neglected to put the hospital name in the post because for the life of me I couldn't remember which hospital it was, I didn't have any papers with me anymore,and because I couldn't find it in the internet.

However, since I have been constantly inundated with queries on the hospital name, I have once again looked for it online.

As I have suspected years back, I am almost sure that it is the Al Baraha Hospital in Deira.

I would of course suggest for anyone reading the post to call up the hospital rather than just taking my word.

Anonymous said...

Друзья!!!

Если вы интересуетесь немного политикой, то должны были заметить - эти неожиданные волнения в странах Африки
возникли неспроста.

Есть 2 версии этих событий - "официальная" и "неофициальная", и обе версии скорее уводят в сторону от реальных фактов.
[b]Версия 1:[/b] Каддафи - тиран и самодержец, стрелял в мирных граждан, поэтому его надо бы убрать.
[b]Версия 2:[/b] на самом деле Европе с Америкой захотелось немного Ливийской нефти, и они решили навести небольшой "дебош"

Рассмотрим версию 1.
Да, Каддафи уже тот ещё старик, ему конечно пора бы и на пенсию. Но известно ли вам, что конкретно в Ливии
народ имеет весьма высокие преференции при его правлении? Учителя получают под $3.000, выплаты безработным
порядка $1000 и так далее. Да, он стал укрощать группки взбунтовавшихся бедуинов, но кто-нибудь понимает
реальные причины этих бунтов?
Эта версия не выдерживает никакой критики.

Версия 2.
Нефть Ливии? Да, она отличается высоким качеством, Ливийская нефть очень чистая. Но её там не так много.
Да и к тому же, зачем тогда будоражить Египет и прочие африканские государства, которые весь прошлый
год вообще никого не тревожили и не волновали?! А тут вдруг - "тираны", "изверги" и т.п.

Да, эта ситуация дополнительно подогрела цены на нефть. Отдельным корпорациям это выгодно.

Но истина короче.
Каддафи не так давно начал объединять ближневосточные страны под идеей перейти на расчёт
за нефть и товары НЕ долларами, НЕ евро, а альтернативой всему этому. И Египет - одна из стран,
которая это поддержала...

Подробнее - здесь:
http://rutube.ru/tracks/4247342.html

Однако в популярных СМИ это никогда не скажут.

P.S. У Саддама Хусейна, кстати, тоже были такие начинания. Вообще, после кризиса ооочень многие
страны стали задумываться об ИЗБАВЛЕНИИ ОТ ЗАВИСИМОСТИ ОТ ДОЛЛАРА. Рано или поздно
это произойдёт. ФРС уже некуда понижать ставки.

Распространите это где сможете. Люди должны знать правду.


Кстати, это тоже по теме: Россия отказалась участвовать в военной операции в Ливии, километров, Россия отказалась участвовать в военной операции в Ливии, одного, Великобритания примет участие в военной операции в Ливии, по, Россия отказалась участвовать в военной операции в Ливии, РФ